Good-morning, children! Good-morning, everybody! I’m glad to see you all.
I’d like to ask you some questions. Do you like animals? Do you have pets at home? Do you go to the zoo to watch animals? What is your favourite animal?
Today you’ll learn about quite an unusual and famous animal. Have you ever heard a word “jumbo”? Do you know what this word mean? Let’s try to find out the meaning of the word.
In the second picture you can also see a man and in the background there are some huge trees. They are also called “Jumbo”
In the third picture there is an extremely big rabbit. How do we call it? (“Jumbo”)
So, we use the word “Jumbo” to describe things that are very big, bigger than normal things.
Let’s come back to animals. The text that you have on you desks is about an animal which is associated with the word “Jumbo”.
1). Read the text quickly and answer the questions.
1). Read the text again and write the letters of the missing sentences in the correct box. (выполняется самостоятельно с последующей проверкой)
A They didn’t want to lose their favourite animal.
B Children rode on his back.
C Jumbo was a pride of England, she said.
D And a new word, meaning “larger than normal”, was added to the dictionary.
E And everyone had an opinion about it.
F Jumbo was a pride of England, she said.
2). Tick V true. Cross X false.
1. to be furious a) to think of doing something
2. to splash across b) to be very dear to somebody
3. to disapprove c) do not like the idea of something
4. to make a fortune for somebody d) to transport
5. to consider e) to be very angry
6. to ship f) to spread around
7. to accept an offer g) to make somebody successful
8. to be the pride h) to agree to do something
1). Look through the text and find the sentences in the Passive.
2). Rewrite the sentences in the Passive.(выполняется самостоятельно с последующей проверкой)
The word “Jumbo” is used to describe something very big.
1). Complete with the correct form of the word. (выполняется самостоятельно с последующей проверкой)
1. The policeman gave a detailed ………… of the criminal. DESCRIBE
2. My friend is a …………businessman. SUCCESS
At home. Make a project.
Read the story about Jumbo again. Make notes and then write about any other famous animal. (Раздаточный материал – план работы над проектом)
Write where the story took place.
Describe the animal.
Write what the animal is famous for.
Find or draw pictures of the animal for your project.
Present the project to the class.
You know the word “jumbo”. We use it when we describe things that are very big. But where did the word come from? In fact it was the name of a large elephant who lived at the London Zoo from 1856 to 1882. He was very popular.
In the winter of 1882 P. T. Barnum heard that the London Zoo was considering destroying Jumbo, the largest elephant. Barnum, whose circus was already a big success, offered to buy Jumbo for $ 10.000 and ship him to America.
1 - B
2 - A
3 - E
4 - F
1 - T
2 - F
3 - F
4 - F
5 – T
6 – T
7 – T
1. P.T. Barnum was offered to buy Jumbo by the London Zoo.
2. Jumbo was shipped to America.
3. Jumbo was loved by children.
4. Much public attention was attracted by Jumbo.
5. American audience was charmed by Jumbo
6. The sale was disapproved by the Queen.
7. The offer to buy Jumbo was accepted by P.T. Barnum.
Use of English
1 – description
2 – successful
3 – newspapers
4 – proud
5 – sold
6 – arrival
7 – charming
8 – attract