Планы и содержание практических занятий
Методическое обеспечение самостоятельной работы студентов.
Questions and tasks
1. Enumerate the main sentence types in English.
2. What patterns do the English use with statements to make them complete, definite or final.
3. If you want to sound soothing, encouraging or questioning what patterns would you use in statements?
4. How does the use of the Fall-Rise change the common meaning of a statement? Illustrate it by your own examples.
5. Suppose you ask your friend about something and want to
sound friendly or sympathetically interested. What patterns would you choose for that purpose?
6. By what patterns is the business-like interest expressed?
7. What can you say about the intonation of echoing or repeated special questions? Give your own examples.
8. Why are general questions often called ‘Yes-No’ questions?
9. What are the most common intonation patterns for general questions?
10. If you want to put a general question as a subject for urgent discussion or a serious suggestion what patterns would you prefer for the purpose?
11. How would you subdivide imperatives from the point of view of the attitudinal meanings expressed in them? Give the contrasted pairs with command-request intonation. Show how the meaning is changed.
12. How are the emphatic exclamations pronounced?
13. Suppose you are not very much excited. How would you exclaim in response to something not unexpected to you?
14.Why do we recognise phonostylistic effects carried by intonation irrespective of the speaker? 24. Scientific (academic) style
25. Declamatory style
26. Publicistic style
27. Familiar (conversational) style